Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Back From Hiatus

I apologize that I've been MIA so much lately. Unfortunately I had come down with a viral infection that was quite ugly. But I'm feeling a lot better now, so it's back to blogging!
Having been so ill, I learned even more about the military family. Before being stationed here, I had heard time and time again about how the military is like your family away from family. I thought there was no way that could be possible...but it is. Sure, when I was feeling under the weather, having my mom taking care of me would have been ideal. But a lot of people came forward offering to drive me to doctor's appointments, bring me anything I may need, etc. I had people constantly checking up on me and seeing how I was doing. It was great knowing that there were so many people down here that had my best interest in mind too. I think it's safe to say it made me a little more okay with this lifestyle. My network down here is great. Sure, everyone will eventually go to different places and no longer all be at the same base, but that's part of this life.
Sometimes I think people forget what exactly they signed up for. I've seen several military friends end up divorcing or really depressed because this life is too hard for them. I'm not saying this is easy, no way, but what I am saying is that you really have to know what you're getting into before you get here. I did my research and talked to wives on Facebook, forums, etc. so I came in with a pretty good idea of what this life entails. I will never divorce my husband because the military life is too much. And I've learned to make the most of it so that being depressed won't happen either. In fact, I kind of actually like it here and will be sad when we move on to the next base.
Yes, there are low moments. For instance, F has to go TDY for a week that happens to be the week my best friend is getting married. I'm the Matron of Honor and I was really looking forward to having F with me. Going dateless is pretty lame, especially when you're married. I would be lying if I said I wasn't really upset. But, I know that that's part of this life. He's missed birthdays, Easter, etc. and I'm sure he will miss many more things. When "the big D" rolls around, that's 6 months he'll miss. No, this life isn't glamorous but, it's my life and I wouldn't trade that for anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment