Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Look

There is one thing about the "civilian world" that bugs me...staring. Growing up I lived about 30 minutes from Selfridge Air National Guard Base. It's a mostly decommissioned base so it was not an accurate feel of what living by a base would be like. The only people I ever saw in uniform were those marching in the Memorial Day parade every year. To be honest, I don't think I ever saw someone in uniform in another setting until F. But, when I started to see military, I didn't think much of it. Maybe it's because F is military, I'm not sure. I would look, mainly to see if it was someone I knew, and then go on my way. However, I've learned that civilians like to stare.
A couple of weeks ago, F and I were at the National Museum of the United States Air Force (located here on base) for a promotion of a buddy of ours. F was in his service dress, having come straight from work and being part of the ceremony. Now, mind you, this museum is all about the Air Force. It is also located on the base we live on. You would think, knowing this information, people wouldn't be surprised to see airmen at the museum. However, from the second we got out of the car in the parking lot, all the way to the back of the museum where the ceremony was being held, people stared. I don't know if it's because F is a young officer but, whatever the reason, they stared. A day or two later we had to go grocery shopping. F, being really hungry, decided we should go as soon as he got home. He stayed in his ABU's and we went to the store, a rarity for him. Again, from the parking lot through the whole store, people stared. The store we went to is pretty much directly next to the base. You would think in an area that thrives off the base being located here, seeing military wouldn't phase anyone. Apparently that is not the case.
All these stares got me thinking...why exactly do people stare when someone in uniform is present? Am I the only person who has never done that? Should I feel that my husband is special and feel proud or should I be annoyed that people eye us like a museum display? Whatever reaction I'm supposed to have, I wish people would just quit staring!

at the museum, getting stared at

No comments:

Post a Comment